Friday, July 8, 2016

Dying Yarn and Breaking Violet!


Hello :)
I absolutely love dying yarn! It's so much fun and so rewarding to be able to dye yarn and then crochet it into something beautiful for myself or as a present for someone. Last year I started experimenting with dying yarn and I fell in love with the process. Here are a few yarns that I dyed last year. Would ya'll like a blog on all of the yarns I've dyed? Comment below :) For the blog and picture tutorial on how I tie dyed cotton yarn, click on the picture below. And for the video on how I dyed yarn and broke violet, scroll down.









But sadly, I ran out of wool yarn to dye and haven't been able to dye any more yarn till last week. I had a lot of fun learning how to break Wilton's colors last year so for my first experiment this year, I broke violet. And it worked! So easy and so much fun!



Here's how I did it! I hope ya'll like this video!



Some of my notes that are also in the description of the video:

I used Wilton's Icing Dye in Violet.
I could have gotten darker colors but I was running low on violet dye.
I also used wool yarn. Wilton's Dyes will only dye animal fibers.
Vinegar is used to set the dye. Depending on how acidic your water supply is, you may have to add more or less vinegar. Also, reds and purples take less vinegar and blues take more.
Only the dyes with red #3 will break into different colors.

More info:
http://www.dyeyouryarn.com/breaking-food-colors.html 

A couple of great videos by chemknits.com:

Breaking Wilton's Violet Food Coloring on Handpainted Roving
Dip Dying Yarn in Wilton's Violet Food Coloring


I hope my video was helpful. If ya'll would like more blogs and videos on how I dye yarn, comment below. And don't forget to subscribe to my youtube channel for more videos.

Dying yarn is fun and easy and I encourage you all to give it a try!